Saturday, April 17, 2021

Trusting in Providence- My Story at the Woods: Senior Reflection by Justine Gibson

 “Silver beams shine down from Heaven

reflecting in the water through the trees.

The night sends whispers and

thoughts from the sky and those who

have loved these Woods long before me.

In the face of the beauty and magnificence

Providence is seen

whole and exquisite eyes watching luminous

with strength, guidance, and grace. 

Love, Mercy, Justice felt in the heart

of each spark of life to when they ascend.

Gleaming on with legacy lasting

Leaving narrow space between now and then.

In the hands of our Mother, roots deep in the Earth

learning our power and discovering our worth.”

Gibson, 2021

      As with many stories from early life, most of my “memories” are in the words of my mom and grandma. A specific story my grandma loves to tell starts like this: “Justine, I can remember when you were no more than two-years-old sitting in O’Shaughnessy dining hall and you looked up at me and said, ‘What is this place?’” My grandma laughed and said “This is a school!”. I looked at her sternly and replied, “I am going to go to school here.” At that moment in time, everyone laughed and continued on with their meal unaware of the act of Providence that was taking place.

Picture of Justine and her grandpa

Pictured: Grandpa Billy R. Easton (10.28.28 – 8.5.2010) and Justine (age 2) 

     I started taking voice lessons from Michael Boswell at SMWC when I was 15-years-old after my previous voice teacher moved away – another act of Providence. I was constantly reminded of Music Therapy by him and kept close to me a handwritten note from Sharon R. Boyle, Associate Professor of Music Therapy, singing the praises of the program. I remember a conversation with Sharon in the hallway of the Conservatory after a voice lesson where I was so amazed by her confidence and strength. To this day, I am still amazed by Sharon and strive to be a strong, confident woman like her. 
Grandma Betty Easton and Justine after
2017 first Spring Chorale Concert

     
     Now, the road to the Woods was not straight and narrow, but rather winding and filled with many stops and journeys. After graduating high school, I jumped on the opportunity to travel abroad to Dauchingen, Germany and become an Au Pair for a year, travel, and even work as a barista. In 2017, I even had the opportunity to sing in the SMWC Chorale for the Spring 2017 concert at Michael Boswell's invitation.  Providence again began to shine and each time I felt sadness over my choice to leave choirs and plans of higher education behind, I was contacted by Michael again who reminded me of the opportunities at the Woods and the scholarships being offered. So, I auditioned for the Bachelor of Science in Music Therapy program and received the SMWC Musician of Promise Scholarship!
     
     Freshman year was an absolute whirlwind of tears, laughter, and endless gratitude. For once, I felt as though I was where I was truly meant to be. I had friends, was making wonderful grades, and had absolutely amazing professors. Of course, there were struggles, but I remember it only with fondness and thankfulness. Lab days with Dr. McIntyre’s (aka Dr. Mac) theory class, where we were able to share songs from a pre-determined theme and eat donuts he brought in, were absolutely essential in establishing friendships and comfort in the classroom. Music Therapy courses taught by Sharon were integral for my self-exploration and personal growth. I wanted to be the best music therapy student and future music therapist possible. In Chorale I was feeling more connectedness than I have ever experienced… and then I was placed in Madrigals. I can still clearly remember the first Madrigals rehearsal I was a part of when I was asked to sing with Kristin (Foster) Dawson ('20) and my heart stopped for a moment when our voices became one. From that point on we were a soprano team, or as we liked to call ourselves, “two bunnies”.
SMWC Madrigals Fall 2017 Homecoming Concert
     
     In the Summer of 2018, the SMWC Chorale & Madrigals traveled to Ireland to tour and provide concerts. I have so many amazing memories and I will share my most prized memory from the trip. One day while in Ireland we all ventured out to see the Hill of Slane and ended up singing “Long Time Traveler” by the Wailin’ Jennys while surrounding a Celtic cross. Before then it had been just another song to me, but in that moment I felt as though we were singing to the spirits around us and guiding them to their own freedom. I know I will never hear that song again without thinking of the beautiful solitude of the Hill of Slane.   

   
Hill of Slane (County Meath, Ireland)
Sophomore year truly seems as though it is a massive blur. I remember there being an influx of knowledge and participating in Big/Little for the first time as a big, but what I remember the most is getting the email from Michael Boswell s
tating that the Madrigals would be returning to Ireland to compete in the 2019 Mayo International Choral Festival in the summer. To say that we were all thrilled would be a complete understatement. People were crying/screaming, and it was beautiful. I recall singing one of our competition pieces, “Nocturne” by Pablo Neruda, and being completely swept away in the emotion and sound. I remember the pause of silence as it took my breath away when we completed singing before the eruption of applause began. I truly had never felt anything so moving and mesmerizing as that silence. For a few minutes the audience had joined our world and for a moment we were all breathing as one. The rest of the night went by like the blink of an eye until time stopped and the winner of the entire festival was announced: “Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College Madrigals from the United States of America!” Tears began flowing and the Madrigals, along with Michael, jumped up to begin hugging each other all while laughing and finding familiarity in each of our eyes as the shock of winning overcame us. I know I will share this story with family and friends for years to carry on the legacy of the truly "Magical Madrigals".

2019 Mayo International Choral Festival 
Winners (County Mayo, Ireland) - SMWC Madrigals!

     Junior year started off beautifully with promises of Ring Day, my first year as an RA, and so much more, but COVID-19 ended up giving a new definition of “normal” and for a moment the world stopped. While I do feel COVID-19 robbed me of my expected Junior year, it did give me more time at home and in nature to really re-identify my priorities. Music Therapy stayed at the top of my academic list, but being home, spending time with my mom, and feeling the sunlight on my skin moved to the top of my personal list. Through conversations I have discovered that I am not alone in rediscovering the beauty that was always in front of me during COVID-19 lockdown, and for that I am thankful. I am thankful that I was fortunate enough to have experienced lockdown that way, as I know it was not the case for everyone. I am thankful that out of something as horrible as the COVID-19 virus, there were some good things shining through. Of course, the Chorale and Madrigals did not get to go to France as planned, but we did remain safe. I did not receive my ring my Junior year, but at least I was safe, and for that I am thankful. My heart goes to those who lost loved ones during this tragic time and to those who continue to lose loved ones to COVID-19.

Cleaning the Conserv Service Day 2019

       As for Senior year, it started with an absolute blow to my mental health as I over-scheduled myself and learned the hard lesson of establishing boundaries for myself. When Winter break started in November, I tested positive for COVID-19 and was forced to be alone until my symptoms dissipated. This was VERY hard. Not only was I ill, but I was lonely and feeling as though everything I worked for had been for nothing. I received the worst grades I had ever gotten in my college career, my personal relationships were struggling, and I felt like a complete failure at everything I attempted – I had finally hit a wall. Even now I do not know how I coped with the pain I was feeling, but I do believe now that it was growing pains. When I returned to campus and stepped into my room for the first time since having COVID-19, everything had changed. I felt renewed, at ease, and as if a wave of peace had flooded over my spirit. Though the time alone was ruthless, I do fully believe it was necessary to allow me to finish my senior year strong.
      
     As I write this reflection I am nearing the second semester of my senior year and fully feeling the pressure of getting everything done in time, appreciating everything to its fullest, and coping with the sadness of leaving Le Fer Hall behind. I know that it is time to move on and it is time to grow, but I suppose as with all good things and bittersweet endings, you just don’t want to let go. I really am keeping Saint Mother Theodore Guerin’s words close to my heart during this time, “We cannot do our work if we all stay in the nest.” It is time for me to leave my nest and spread my wings and I am ready to move on to the next stage.
     
     The next stage for me is my 6-month music therapy internship at Fulton State Hospital in Fulton, Missouri starting in fall 2021. I am fully expecting this internship to be hard and challenging, but I cannot think of one good thing in my life that hasn’t been. I have never been one to shy away from a challenge, so I have full confidence in myself moving forward. I also know the skills I learned as a two-year Resident Assistant, executive board member of many organizations, and all that I have observed from those around me will carry me through any hardship I may face.

Justine with friends

     I would be remiss if I did not mention my professors in the Department of Music and Theatre. Michael Boswell, Sharon Boyle, Dr. Mac, and Ron Maurey all individually, and as a driving force, changed my life for the better. Through them I have learned the virtue of seemingly endless patience, the importance of being kind to oneself, how to lift others up, and accepting that things are not going to be perfect. I cry thinking of not seeing my professors daily or being able to stop by their offices when I need help, though I know that they and their lessons will be supporting me long after I leave the safety of the Woods. I appreciate them more than I truly think I will ever be able to express and more than they will probably ever know. I love each of them dearly and am so thankful to have had the opportunity of being a student to some of the most kind, loving, strong, and beautiful people I have ever met.

Justine with friends after Choral concert

     My heart aches to know that I am in the final weeks of being a Madrigal as it has changed me and my life so much. We are all individual singers, of course, but we become one through the music we sing and experiences we share. I can say with all the honesty in my heart that I love every woman I have sung with in Madrigals. Even if we have differing opinions, we are connected through soul and heart when we sing. Leaving Madrigals will easily be one of the hardest parts of my transition into internship.
    
   I am ever thankful to have experienced such community and love on the Woods' gorgeous campus. I am thankful for the Sisters of Providence and their spiritual guidance they have offered me the past few years that led to my conversion to Catholicism. I am thankful to the Woods for every beautiful relationship including: Carra Matherly, Anwyn Payonk, Jacob Wilson, Elizabeth Reel, Kaci Jones, Abbie Roberts, Allee Taylor, Olivia Wendel, Jacob Reinhart, Liz Yeazel, Sara Langenberger, Ariana Hall, Marie Esguerra, Shelby Calloway, Sarah Mahady, Catherine Saunders, Aimee Janssen-Robinson, Samantha Robinson, and my fellow RAs for always being there to offer support and a listening ear, even if at some points the support was from afar. My largest thank you must go to the strongest, most independent, and feisty women I know – my mom and grandma. I am simply blessed. I am so blessed that I have so many amazing people that have offered me so many lessons, so much love, and enrich my life to the absolute fullest. I am thankful for my peers in the Music/Music Therapy program and am so thankful to have been given the opportunity to watch them grow these last few years. I love my life and where I am right now, I know past me would be so proud. I just wish I could tell her everything was going to be alright and to not be so scared to be herself. Life is truly beautiful with the people I have in it, the experiences I have had, and the joy that I feel as part of my beloved Woods. 

Justine with her grandma on Ring Day
Justine with Madrigal friends and 
Director of Choirs, Michael Boswell

Justine and her family


Author: Justine Gibson, SMWC senior music therapy major

Editor: Sharon R. Boyle, MM, MT-BC, Associate Professor of Music Therapy and Coordinator of the Undergraduate Music Therapy Program, Chair of the Department of Music and Theatre

Photo Credits: Justine Gibson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more information about the SMWC Undergraduate Music Therapy and Music Therapy Equivalency-Campus programs, contact:
Sharon R. Boyle, MM, MT-BC 
sboyle@smwc.edu 




No comments:

Post a Comment